Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Funny Thoughts and Sayings of a Two-Year-Old

There is never a dull moment with Jaden, which I'm sure could be said about most two-year-olds. He listens to and watches everything we say and do, whether we realize it or not. And the things that he says and does are so hilarious sometimes.
  • "20 Much": It was Jaden's Papa Sam's birthday at the end of May and we were trying to get him to say that Papa Sam was "one hundred" (because we knew his grandpa would get a kick out of this). For some reason, he just never caught on. So when we quizzed him an asked, "How old is Papa Sam?" His response was "Um...20 much."
  • "You Mean Stomach?": I have always massaged Jaden with lotion after his bath and now he is at an age where he wants to help and put the lotion on himself. His favorite thing to do is dunk his finger into the tub of Eucerin (which is pretty thick and takes some work to rub in) and put it on his face. He ends up leaving dollops of lotion all over his face. So one day during his massage, I tried to get him to put the lotion on his stomach instead of his face, so I said "Put it on your tummy." He casually said, "You mean stomach, mom?" Well excuse me! (he may as well have rolled his eyes while he said it)
  • "I Need a Popsicle": One day at Nana and Papa's house, Jaden fell and bumped his mouth on one of their tables. It started bleeding, and he started screaming. Papa hurried to get him a popsicle to suck on to alleviate the pain and swelling. Ever since then, any time that Jaden gets hurt, even if it's a tiny scratch on his finger, he says, "I need a popsicle."
  • ".com": Every Saturday morning Jaden gets to watch a little bit of TV with his daddy (I think his daddy enjoys the cartoons more than he does, which is why he made this Saturday morning TV "rule"). Jaden's (and Sam's) favorites are Barney, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and Imagination Movers. Anyway, one weekend he spent the night at Nana and Papa's house and asked to watch Barney. Nana asked him where to find Barney and Jaden said, "Barney.com." I have no idea where he got that from!
  • "I Want a Tummy Ache": This one took me a little while to figure out... For Easter, Jaden got tons of eggs with a little bit of candy or crackers in each. We keep the eggs in a basket up in the pantry and he gets to have one egg every few days or so. We've still got a basket full, so he continues to get an egg whenever we or he thinks of it. One day, after finishing the jelly beans in his egg, Jaden asked to have another one. I told him no because I didn't want him to get a tummy ache. Then, just the other day, Jaden came into the kitchen holding his tummy and painfully said, "I want a tummy ache." We were getting ready to go to a party, so my first thought was that he was sick and we wouldn't be able to go. He kept repeating, "I want a tummy ache." So I picked him up and asked him if his tummy was hurting. He said, "no!" Then I was really confused, so i asked him, "You want a tummy ache?" He said, "yes." I'm wondering what on earth he is talking about, so I asked him to show me what a tummy ache was. He went to the pantry and pointed up at the basket of eggs! Then it clicked...the day that I told him I didn't want him to have a tummy ache, he thought I was calling the eggs tummy aches!

6 comments:

  1. I love how we have to decipher! Those are cute stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny. They catch onto things so quickly and remember everything, but interperet it in such interesting ways! Sometimes we've got to remember every little detail of situations to figure out what our kids are talking about a week after the event occurred!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! They make good stories and yet their little minds are really catching on. Jaden is so smart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww that is just adorable! :) My son did the popsicle thing once - he fell and scraped his knee and it was a bad one - no sooner than i could clean it up did he say, "a cookie would make me feel better". lol Kids are so darn cute! :)
    I'm visiting from SITS. I saw you were new and thought I would check in.
    I am now following and will continue to see what you have to say!
    Check out my blog anytime! :)
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids are funny! I never have a dull moment with my daughter.
    I liked the "stomach" remark! LOL
    I saw you on SITS. I am blogging about parenting. Check out my blog. Thanks for good posts!

    ReplyDelete