Monday, May 10, 2010

Elijah's One Year Old!

I can't believe it's already been a year since our precious Elijah was born! April 17, 2009 was the day that Sam and I became parents for the second time and Jaden became one awesome big brother! I have to admit that the months leading up to that day were........well.......ummm, how do I say this without hurting Elijah's feelings...miserable. I was sick day and night from month zero till about April 17th, 2009. That's what it seemed like, anyway. I can't count the days I had to miss work due to my sickness. So much for saving up my sick-leave days for my maternity leave. Eventually my doctor put me on some anti-nausea medication, which worked wonderfully to cure my constant nausea and vomiting; BUT ended up causing intense constipation (I know you wanted to know all these details) and I couldn't decide which I would rather have felt because apparently it wasn't possible to have my cake and eat it too (literally, because I would have vomited!). It gets worse, but I'll spare you the details.

I remember telling my mom half-way through my pregnancy that I was NOT going to be pregnant EVER AGAIN! She gave a sympathetic smile and said "You'll forget about all of this once the baby is born." Sam and I checked into the hospital super early on the morning of the 17th, as I was going to be induced that day, about a week before my due date. Nana and Papa stayed with Jaden and I couldn't stop thinking about how tremendously his life was going to change, in tremendous ways! I couldn't wait for him and his new baby brother to meet. But we had a long 10 hours ahead of us, and since the epidural I had with Jaden didn't work, I decided I wouldn't even attempt one this time. Eventually I decided I couldn't take the pain anymore and went ahead with an epidural and quickly thougth "why didn't I do that five hours ago!" At 6:31 PM pm, Elijah Norman was born, weighing 8 pounds, 9 ounces! And my mom was absolutely right! It was like all of those months of pain and misery completely left me as soon as Elijah was born. Initially I was anxious to meet the little guy who had been causing me so much pain for the past nine months; and as soon as I held him, I knew that I would have done it all over again in a heartbeat.

Elijah has been the most perfect addition to our family. There is so much to love about this little guy! Elijah, here's what I love about you...
  • How easy-going you are. You are so good at entertaining yourself and keeping yourself busy.
  • How your big brother makes you giggle and laugh harder than anybody.
  • Your chubby little feet, still in tiny size 3 shoes! I especially love your first pair of tiny flip flops!
  • Your adorable teeth! You have two on the bottom and four on the top...and hardly ever makes a fuss about them.
  • How cute you are when you pull up to stand, after many failed attempts and lots of practice.
  • That you loves to eat! You never crawls as fast as when you think it's time to eat!
  • How well behaved you are when we are out at a restaurant.
  • How much you absolutely loves put-and-take play activities! You love to put items into containers, empty, and repeat...again and again.
  • How much you love to sleep (including naps).
  • That you are finally using a sippy cup instead of bottles and are mostly accepting of them.
  • How cute it is when you suck your thumb while you are sleeping.
  • The way you say "momma."
  • The way you sneakily pick the food off your tray that you don't like and drop it onto the floor.
  • How much you love your bath and your first trip to the swimming pool!
  • The way you try to escape into the backyard any time daddy is out there watering.
  • How cute you are when you swing. You giggle so much, and sometimes fall asleep.
  • Your long wavy hair, and the adorable curls that are still on either side, just above your ears. I just can't bring myself to cut them yet.
  • The way you love to play with your toys. You cry in the morning as we pass the playroom to get into the car, while squirming to try to get down and play.
  • How much you love books and being read to.
  • Your bright, beautiful eyes and sweet, friendly smile.
  • How much fun it is for you when Jaden feeds you, which he loves to do.
  • Seeing the sweet relationship you are developing with Jaden. You love to play with him, and sometimes even crawl right into his lap.
  • The way you try to imitate the mouth sounds that we make. You are so funny!

Elijah, I can't believe you are one year old already! You are so amazing to us and we are so blessed to have you in our lives! Thank you for being precious, sweet little YOU! We look forward to all of the exploring, learning, and growing that you will do in the year to come!

Here are some wonderful memories of your first year.

Elijah on the way...

Elijah's Birth

Elijah's First Week

Elijah's First Month

Elijah's Second Month

Elijah's Third Month

Elijah's Fourth Month

Elijah's Fifth Month

Elijah's Sixth Month

Elijah's Seventh Month

Elijah's Eighth Month

Elijah's Ninth Month

Elijah's Tenth Month

Elijah's Eleventh Month

Elijah's One Year Old!

No comments:

Post a Comment