Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Super Powers

Jaden is recently experiencing a slight case of "super hero obsessiveness." He makes capes out of blankets and pillow cases and flies around the house insisting that we refer to him by his super hero name. I really don't know a whole lot about any of the super heroes, and frankly, I am just not quite ready for the stage of action figures, super powers, pretend weapons, shooting webs... So any time that Jaden is in super hero mode, I remind him of how kind and helpful super heroes are; that they always listen to their mommies and daddies; that they have very nice manners; and whatever else I need him to do at the time (super heroes do those things, right?).

Well, one morning as I was getting ready for work, Jaden came bouncing into the room. My initial thought was "how did you get out of your bed (the top bunk)," but that was quickly diverted as Jaden held up a hanger with his Batman shirt attached and said that was what he was going to wear today. I immediately thought of the warm weather out as he insisted on wearing this long-sleeved black T-shirt, but decided it wasn't worth a battle, so I agreed; after all, getting yourself up in the morning and picking out your own clothes is a super power all it's own! He was thrilled to put it on and it was almost like he instantly acquired the super powers that went right along with it - luckily they were the super powers that I always remind him super heroes have. Next thing I know, Jaden is zooming around the room putting away clothes, picking up toys, and then ran out of the room and back in with an outfit for Elijah to wear. He said, "I got this for Elijah to wear today...," then said "...say Thank you Batman."

And the best part was that this super hero also had the power to give massages! Well.....that may be a bit of an exaggeration...this super hero had the power of good intentions! As I was getting ready, I felt a pain in my back and said "ouch!" Jaden quickly asked what happened and I told him that I hurt my back. He then offered to massage it:
J: "Do you want me to massage it for you?"
Me: "Sure!" (I'll never turn that down)
J: "I can massage it for you, but just one massage (He put total emphasis on the word ONE; wouldn't want me to think I was going to get two massages out of it!).
J: "I just need to find some lotion."
He then found the container of Eucerin lotion, which is about as thick as a tub of butter. He plunged his hand into it and came out with a huge dollop, plopped it onto my arm, making minimal effort to rub it in. Then said, "There you go mom, that was one massage. Does it feel better?"

No comments:

Post a Comment