Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

As this Mother's Day is coming to an end, I am sitting here, exhausted, waiting for Elijah to wake up for his next feeding so that I can go to bed (for at least 2 hours) once his tummy's full. Meanwhile, I can hear Jaden coughing over the monitor, sounding like he may be having some difficulty breathing. Eventually he began to cry, so Sam and I hurried in to check on him to make sure all is ok. Sam rocked him and I went to get the nasal aspirator, thermometer, and some allergy medicine. And I began to realize how important every aspect of this job is...the job of motherhood, that is! No matter how exhausting it may be; no matter how many times I have to wake up during the night for feedings, diaper changes, etc; no matter how terrible the "twos" can sometimes seem, there is no better job in the world than the job of MOM. And all of these little tasks that come along with the job are true blessings; something I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. I've never wanted anything more than to be a mom, and I owe a huge THANK YOU (and lots of hugs and kisses) to my two precious little boys for giving me the opportunity to do so...they've shown me true happiness and unconditional love! Motherhood really is, as my mom has always said, "the hardest job you'll ever love!" There's no job like it in the world. It's like a thousand jobs, all wrapped into one all-important title...MOM! It requires messy diaper changes; being loving, yet firm; kissing ouchies; setting limits; breaking up fights; answering never-ending rounds of questions; sanitizing toys; giving comfort; potty training; laughing till your tummy hurts; celebrating every accomplishment; singing and dancing; reading the same story a thousand times; hunting for dinosaurs; cooking healthy meals; listening to Barney songs over and over; teaching manners; teaching right from wrong; teaching colors, numbers, letters... The list is endless, and all are amazing parts of the job, with something new to look forward to each and every day. And what's even more amazing and rewarding is what my kids have taught me - they've taught me more than I ever imagined a two-year-old and three-week-old could ever know about love, trust, patience, family, and friendship!

Happy Mother's Day to all the MOM's! And especially to my own mother, who taught me by example what it means to be a mom through her selflessness, compassion, support, and love (she's an incredible grandma, too)! Thanks to her, I truly appreciate this tremendous responsiblity I have been blessed with! There is truly no greater, more enjoyable job in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment